Monday, 10 March 2008

tiger process (edited - forgot final step!)

So I thought I'd post a run down of my frequent process on this ridiculous tiger face. It starts off with a drawing scanned in to photoshop - below is the drawing with an overlay layer of colours. For some reason I always choose primaries. I just don't know why - they call to me.



After every step I flatten the image again - I'd prefer not to but this is for print and my laptop can't handle the working filesize of more than a couple of layers. I think this is approximately 8% of the working size. So here there is a multiply layer over the top with some rough colours. It is at this stage that the asymmetry of the face begins to bother me.

The brown background was distracting so I made it white - new layer. Normal this time. Helps to see the overall shapes. I am reminded of the Beta Band's tiger face album cover but plough on regardless.


Okay, so here I've tried to sort out some of the small things that were bothering me, like the length of the tusks and some of the angles of the face. Transform tool.

Now I start putting more colours in (again with the primaries! I hadn't realised that was all I used!) on a soft light layer. From here on out its just rendering. At this stage the orginal drawing is pretty much all covered up, with some areas of texture showing through. Still, I find it useful to draw first, even if it does seem to double the amount of time spent on work.






Finished? Nearly... now I just need to add the electricity shooting out of its eyes

2 comments:

Diantres said...

great process. is hard to me me work in Photoshop over a graphite without losing the strength of the drawing.

chris said...

Thanks a lot for posting the process. I love to see how it came together.